- 2 cups quinoa flakes (7 ounces)
- 1 cup sliced blanched almonds (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (see Note)
- 3/4 cup golden berries, also known as Incan berries and dried cape
gooseberries (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup tart dried cherries (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. On a sturdy rimmed baking sheet, toss the quinoa with the almonds and toast for 20 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the sunflower seeds, wheat germ, chia seeds, golden berries and cherries.
In a medium saucepan, combine the 4 tablespoons of butter with the brown sugar and agave syrup and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar is just dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour the mixture into the large bowl and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly butter the paper. Scrape the mixture onto the baking sheet and form into a 7-by-12-inch rectangle, pressing lightly to compact it; use a straight edge to evenly press the sides. Bake the bar for 10 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate until firm, 20 minutes.
Invert the bar onto a work surface and peel off the paper. Cut the bar into twelve 1-inch-wide strips, then cut each strip in half to form twenty-four 1-by-3 1/2-inch bars.
Internal Server Error