Incan Super-Power Bars
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 dozen 3 1/2-by-1-inch bars
- 2 cups quinoa flakes (7 ounces)
- 1 cup sliced blanched almonds (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (see Note)
- 3/4 cup golden berries, also known as Incan berries and dried cape gooseberries (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup tart dried cherries (4 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a sturdy rimmed baking sheet, toss the quinoa with the almonds and toast for 20 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the sunflower seeds, wheat germ, chia seeds, golden berries and cherries.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 4 tablespoons of butter with the brown sugar and agave syrup and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar is just dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour the mixture into the large bowl and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly butter the paper. Scrape the mixture onto the baking sheet and form into a 7-by-12-inch rectangle, pressing lightly to compact it; use a straight edge to evenly press the sides. Bake the bar for 10 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate until firm, 20 minutes.
- Invert the bar onto a work surface and peel off the paper. Cut the bar into twelve 1-inch-wide strips, then cut each strip in half to form twenty-four 1-by-3 1/2-inch bars.