- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter two 9-inch glass pie plates.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, coconut and milk. Divide the mixture between the pie plates and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 1 hour, until the pies are firm to the touch and golden. Transfer the pies to a rack and cool completely before serving.
The pies can be refrigerated overnight. Return them to room temperature before serving.