- 2 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
In a medium saucepan, combine the plum tomatoes with the water, tomato paste, onion, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper and granulated sugar. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the tomatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 1 minute.
Puree the soup in a blender and pass it through a coarse strainer into a medium bowl. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate the soup until cold, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the cherry tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, confectioners' sugar and a large pinch of salt. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the skins start to wrinkle. Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl and toss with the dill.
Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the roasted cherry tomatoes and serve.