Ice Cream with Strawberries and Balsamic Glaze
- SERVINGS: 8
Balsamic vinegar, tempered with brown sugar and reduced to a glaze, makes a sweet, tangy topping for the ice cream and strawberries.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle the strawberries with the granulated sugar. Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a nonreactive medium saucepan, combine the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Scoop the ice cream into 8 bowls. Top with the strawberries and their exuded liquid and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Garnish with the chopped nuts and serve.