Ice Cream in Crispy Chocolate-Coconut Cones
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 10 cones
When pastry chef Jacques Torres was growing up in Provence, he believed the sole reason for his family's evening walks was to eat ice cream. He still loves ice cream cones. Now the owner of an eponymous candy factory and shop in Brooklyn, Torres prepares a grown-up version at home: He twists coconut cookies into cones, coats the insides with dark chocolate (which helps keep them crisp) and fills them with ice cream.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted melted butter, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped and melted
- Strawberry or dulche de leche ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Trace a 6-inch circle onto 5 separate sheets of parchment paper. Turn the sheets over and brush butter inside the rounds and 1 inch beyond the traced rims. Form a 12-inch sheet of foil into a 6-inch long cone. Wrap another sheet of foil around the cone to smooth the surface.
- In a food processor, process the coconut until fine. Add the sugar, eggs and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter; process until the batter is combined. Transfer the batter to a bowl.
- Set 1 of the prepared sheets of parchment on a baking sheet. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter onto the buttered round. Using an offset spatula, spread the batter to the edge of the circle in a thin and even layer. Bake the tuile for 6 minutes, or until golden all over.
- Immediately transfer the parchment paper to a work surface. Carefully roll the tuile around the aluminum-foil cone, pressing it into a cone shape; let cool for 1 to 2 minutes before removing the foil cone from inside the tuile. Repeat with the remaining batter, using each piece of parchment paper twice and buttering the rounds between batches.
- Using a small pastry brush, coat the inside of each cone with melted chocolate. Brush the outer rim of the cone with a 1/2-inch band of melted chocolate. Transfer the cones to a baking sheet lined with wax paper and chill until set. Fill with scoops of ice cream and serve at once.