Hush Puppies with Remoulade
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 1 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: Makes 3 dozen hush puppies
F&W's Emily Kaiser created these crispy hush puppiescornmeal dumplingsby adapting a recipe from chef Susan McCreight Lindeborg. (Lindeborg ran the kitchen at Washington, DC's Morrison-Clark Inn when Emily worked there as a line cook.) Emily serves them with a version of the creamy French sauce remoulade, which she spikes with Tabasco and a little ketchup.
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, oregano, cayenne pepper and black pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, scallions and the 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the cornmeal mixture until just blended. Cover and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar, shallot and scallion. Season the remoulade with Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 325°. Set a large rack over a baking sheet. Drop 6 rounded tablespoons of batter at a time into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until the hush puppies are browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the hush puppies to the rack to drain. Serve the hush puppies hot with the remoulade.
A rich snack like this would be perfect with a fizzy wine, such as a Prosecco or Champagne.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.