- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, oregano, cayenne pepper and black pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, scallions and the 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the cornmeal mixture until just blended. Cover and refrigerate the batter for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar, shallot and scallion. Season the remoulade with Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 325°. Set a large rack over a baking sheet. Drop 6 rounded tablespoons of batter at a time into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until the hush puppies are browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the hush puppies to the rack to drain. Serve the hush puppies hot with the remoulade.
The hush puppy batter can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. The remoulade can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
A rich snack like this would be perfect with a fizzy wine, such as a Prosecco or Champagne.