- 1/2 pound paprika salami (see Note), dry chorizo or Calabrese salami, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 pound Havarti cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice, or 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 Hungarian wax peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and toss well. Cover the salad and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes. Season the salad with additional salt and black pepper and serve at room temperature.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight.
Paprika salami is a traditional Hungarian dry salami flavored with paprika and garlic. It can be found at specialty food shops and hungariandeli.com.