- 1 ounce Irish whiskey, preferably Connemara
- 1 ounce applejack (American apple brandy)
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 1/2 ounce Cinnamon Syrup (See Note)
- 1/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- 3 ounces hot water
- 1 star anise pod and a small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a warmed mug or heatproof glass, combine the whiskey, applejack, amaro, Cinnamon Syrup, lemon juice, both bitters and hot water. Stir briefly and garnish with the star anise and nutmeg.
Cinnamon Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, 4 ounces water and three 2-inch cinnamon sticks broken into large pieces. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Discard the cinnamon. Transfer the syrup to a jar and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Makes about 8 ounces.