Hummus with Tahini & Spicy Chickpeas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Michael Solomonov makes his signature hummus at Zahav with an unusually generous amount of tahini—something that distinguishes the hummus of his native Israel from that of other Middle Eastern countries. He tops the dish with warm chickpeas fried with jalapeño, cumin and crushed Aleppo pepper.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced Spanish onion
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño—halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- One 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Aleppo pepper (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- Two 14-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges and warm pita bread, for serving
- PREPARE THE CHICKPEAS In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the chickpeas, Aleppo pepper, cumin, caraway and coriander and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices are fragrant and the chickpeas are heated through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE HUMMUS In a food processor, combine the lemon juice and garlic and pulse until the garlic is very finely chopped. Let stand for 10 minutes, then add the chickpeas, tahini, cumin and 1/2 cup of water and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
- Spoon the hummus onto plates and top with the spicy chickpeas. Garnish with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges and pita bread.
The hummus and spicy chick-peas can be refrigerated separately overnight. Bring the hummus to room temperature and gently reheat the chickpeas before serving.Notes
Aleppo pepper is a moderately hot crushed dried chile from Syria and Turkey. It is available at gourmet markets and penzeys.com.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.