- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 8
This version of the classic banana cake, topped with crushed pineapple and a sugary glaze, is completely gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- MAKE THE CAKE Preheat the oven to 350° and oil an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, whisk the ½ cup of oil with the eggs, bananas, pineapple, pecans and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely, then transfer to a rack.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE TOPPING In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the pineapple and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar and stir until combined. Let cool slightly. Spoon the topping over the top of the cooled cake and let stand until set, about 25 minutes.
- MAKE THE DRIZZLE In a small bowl, using your hands, blend the confectioners’ sugar with the butter. Add the vanilla extract and milk and whisk until smooth. Using a fork, drizzle the mixture over the top of the cake and let stand until set, about 15 minutes. Slice the cake and serve.