- Softened unsalted butter, for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Fine salt
- 1/2 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter a 2-quart oval baking dish. Spread the almonds on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, until light golden; let cool completely. Leave the oven on.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Whisk in both sugars along with the vanilla and almond extracts, then whisk in the flour, baking powder and a generous pinch of salt. Fold in the cherries and 1 cup of the toasted almonds. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the torte for about 50 minutes, until the top is browned and crisp. Let cool for 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted almonds.
The torte can be covered and kept overnight at room temperature.