- Softened unsalted butter, for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Fine salt
- 1/2 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter a 2-quart oval baking dish. Spread the almonds on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, until light golden; let cool completely. Leave the oven on.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Whisk in both sugars along with the vanilla and almond extracts, then whisk in the flour, baking powder and a generous pinch of salt. Fold in the cherries and 1 cup of the toasted almonds. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Bake the torte for about 50 minutes, until the top is browned and crisp. Let cool for 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted almonds.
The torte can be covered and kept overnight at room temperature.