- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pure chile powder
- One 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican
- 4 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup canned low-fat refried beans
- 1 cup loosely packed grated Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
Preheat the broiler. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cilantro and chile powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and oregano. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Lightly coat the tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Toast 1 tortilla at a time in the skillet, about 15 seconds per side. Dip 1 side of the tortilla into the tomato sauce and set it, coated side up, on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
In a medium saucepan, combine the refried beans with 2 tablespoons of water and warm over moderately low heat. Spread 1/4 cup of the beans on each tortilla and top with the cheese. Broil for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted; keep warm.
In a bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, salsa and 2 tablespoons of water; season with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in the medium skillet until foaming. Add the eggs and cook over moderately high heat, pushing the eggs into the center of the pan, until set but still soft, about 2 minutes.
Transfer the tortillas to 4 plates. Top with the scrambled eggs and a little sauce and serve immediately with a bowl of the remaining sauce alongside.
One Serving Calories 375 kcal, Protein 21 gm, Carbohydrates 43 gm, Cholesterol 230 mg, Total Fat 14 gm, Saturated Fat 5.2 gm