- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and raisins and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the gochujang, paprika, peppercorns and celery seeds and cook, stirring, until the gochujang deepens in color, about 1 minute. Add the orange juice and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the salt, along with 3/4 cup of water and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and scrape the sauce into a blender; let cool slightly. Wipe out the saucepan.
Puree the steak sauce until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Pass it through a mesh sieve set over the saucepan, pressing on the solids. Simmer the steak sauce over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
The steak sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.