- 4 cups spinach, packed
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas (about 1 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained
- One 12-ounce jar artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons hot cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- Add the spinach to a medium saucepan, cover and cook over low heat until bright green and tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Squeeze and drain the excess water from the spinach and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the spinach and pulse until finely chopped. Combine the chickpeas, artichokes, garlic, tahini, 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, cumin, cayenne, and salt and puree to a chunky consistency. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and lemon juice and puree until smooth. Loosen the consistency with water, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Scrape the hummus into a bowl. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and douse with a few tablespoons of the hot sauce over the top. Serve with pita chips.
The hummus can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature to serve.