- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds baby red and Yukon Gold potatoes
- 6 large shallots, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 4-pound whole chicken
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, blend the butter, hot sauce and 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Refrigerate until spreadable, 10 minutes.
- Wrap the center pillar of a 10-inch Bundt pan with foil. In a bowl, toss the potatoes and shallots with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Add to the pan.
- Run your fingers under the breast and thigh skin of the chicken to loosen. Spread the butter under the skin, over the breast and thighs. Season with salt and pepper and perch on the pan by inserting the center pillar into the cavity.
- Roast the chicken in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 155°. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 15 minutes. Carve the chicken and serve with the potatoes and shallots.
A big green salad.
WINE: Bold, full-bodied Spanish white.