- 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole okra
- 3 fresh jalapeño peppers, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 9 dried red chile peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Divide the okra and jalapeno peppers pieces evenly between 3 sterile canning pint jars. Place 3 dried chiles and 1 clove of garlic into each jar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, vinegar, mustard seeds, peppercorns, sugar, and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt for the brine. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, pour the brine as evenly as possible into the jars. Seal the jars in a hot water bath according to the jars' package instructions and store in a cool, dry place for at least a week.
Pickled okra should last up to 6 months in a sealed jar when stored in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening.