© John Kernick
Hot Niçoise Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
tuna steaks on a tangle of beans, tomatoes, anchovies and olives.
More Main Course Salads
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise olives (3 ounces)
- 1 cup roasted red or yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- Two 2-ounce cans flat anchovies packed in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce, 1-inch-thick tuna steaks
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the beans in a steamer basket and steam over 1 inch of boiling water until crisp-tender, 4 minutes; transfer to a large roasting pan.
- Lightly squeeze the tomatoes and add to the pan. Add the olives, bell pepper, anchovies and basil, toss with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the tuna steaks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set the tuna on the vegetables. Nestle 4 ramekins among the vegetables and crack an egg into each ramekin. Drizzle the eggs with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper
- Roast the tuna, vegetables and eggs in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, until the fish is slightly rare in the center and the egg whites are set, but the yolks are still runny.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and tuna steaks. Transfer to plates and serve immediately.
Fragrant, strawberry-inflected Provençal rosé.