- One 3-pound head of green cabbage, cut through the core into 8 wedges
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 pickled jalapeños, seeded and minced, plus 2 teaspoons pickling liquid from the jar
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- 10 hot dogs
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Brush the cabbage wedges with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the cabbage over high heat until charred, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a work surface. When the cabbage is cool enough to handle, finely slice it crosswise with a sharp knife.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the cider vinegar, jalapeños and pickling liquid. Add the shredded cabbage and toss well. Season the grilled coleslaw with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Grill the hot dog buns over high heat until crisp, about 30 seconds. Grill the hot dogs over high heat, turning several times, until lightly charred and heated through, about 4 minutes. Place the hot dogs in the toasted buns, top with the grilled coleslaw and serve.
"How many brat-eating Germans would agree with you at Octoberfest?" beer expert Sam Calagione shot back, drinking a crisp pilsner, his go-to choice for sandwiches because he loves the beer's yeasty quality with anything on bread. He favors the Victory Prima Pils, which has much more depth than watery industrialized pilsners and a pleasantly bitter finish.