Hot Cocoa Cupcakes with Meringue Frosting
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus cooling
- SERVINGS: makes 12 cupcakes
A mother of two and former bakery owner, Silvano Nardone loves nostalgic desserts, like these rich chocolate cupcakes mounted with a fluffy marshmallow-esque meringue frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- MAKE THE CUPCAKES Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and chocolate chips with the boiling water until smooth. Add the sugar, sour cream, canola oil, eggs and vanilla; whisk until no streaks remain. Whisk in the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and let cool completely.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FROSTING In a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl shouldn't touch the water), whisk the egg whites with the sugar and cream of tartar until the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
- Transfer the meringue frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round pastry tip and frost the cupcakes.