Hot Chocolate with Whipped Cream
- SERVINGS: 4 TO 6
The intense chocolate flavor in this recipe comes from using top-quality chocolate rather than cocoa powder.
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup Frangelico liqueur (optional)
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate in the boiling water. Remove from the heat.
- In another medium saucepan, heat the milk with the vanilla bean; cook it over moderately high heat until bubbles appear around the edge. Remove the pan from the heat. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the hot milk, then carefully whisk in the sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the hot milk into the melted chocolate, add the Frangelico and whisk until smooth. Pour the hot chocolate into warm mugs and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.