Hot Chilean Salsa
- SERVINGS: MAKES 2 CUPS
This wonderful Chilean salsa is a fine complement to soups, stews and grilled meats. It also makes a quick marinade for chicken, pork or grilled vegetables.
Healthy Grilling Recipes
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 3 medium plum tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pimentón (optional, see Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- In a food processor, pulse the onion with the cilantro until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and pulse until finely chopped. Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, pimentón and cayenne and pulse just until blended. Transfer the salsa to a bowl and season with salt.
Make AheadThe salsa can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
NotesPimentón or Spanish paprika, is available in many styles, from sweet to smoky. The pimentón from La Vera, in the Cáceres region, is ground from dried red peppers smoked over oak. It is available at Latin markets.
Serve WithGrilled Skirt Steak with Hot Chilean Salsa .