Hot and Sour Vegetables
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 10 Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 small carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick on the diagonal
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 dried red chiles, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Fill a wok two-thirds full with water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots and zucchini and blanch the vegetables until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well and shake dry.
- Wipe out the wok. Add the oil, and when it begins to smoke, add the dried chiles, fermented black beans, ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the onion and mushrooms and stir-fry until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the blanched vegetables and cook for 1 minute, then add the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 15 seconds. Swirl the sesame oil over the vegetables and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.