- 2 ounces rice-stick noodles (pad thai noodles)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 large shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), stems discarded and caps
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 2-by- 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce or hot sauce
- 1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
How to make this recipe
Soak the noodles in a bowl of hot water until pliable, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the shiitake and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
Drain the noodles, add them to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat just until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the pork, vinegar, soy sauce and chile-garlic sauce and simmer until the pork is nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the snow peas, scallions and cornstarch mixture and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Stir in the sesame oil and season with salt. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.