- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed well
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium cinnamon sticks, cracked
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 banana (2 ounces)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup ice
- In a bowl, cover the rice with the water. Add the cinnamon sticks and let stand at room temperature for at least 3 hours or overnight; discard the cinnamon sticks.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, tossing, until fragrant, 3 minutes. In a small bowl, blend 1 tablespoon of the ground cinnamon with the sugar.
- Transfer the rice and its liquid to a blender. Add the almonds and puree for 2 minutes. Strain the horchata through a fine sieve into a bowl. Rinse out the blender.
- Return the horchata to the blender and add the condensed milk, banana and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and puree. Add the ice cream and ice and blend. Pour the shake into glasses, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top and serve.
Contributed By Photo © Con Poulos Published May 2013