- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup plus more, preferably warmed, for serving
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Six 1/2-inch-thick slices whole-grain bread
- 4 to 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, the 1/4 cup of maple syrup, the vanilla and the cinnamon until the sugar is dissolved.
Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture, 1 slice at a time, for about 1 minute, then transfer to a tray or baking sheet; don't oversoak or the bread will fall apart.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in each of 2 large heavy skillets. Add the bread to the skillets and cook over moderately low heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side; if the pans are dry when you turn the toast, swirl in a little more butter. Transfer the French toast to plates, dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve at once with the warm maple syrup.
Turn fresh-squeezed orange juice into mimosasif there's any leftover Champagne from the night before.