- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 1/2 pounds carrots, sliced on the diagonal 1/3 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons finely julienned fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the sliced carrots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the fresh ginger, turmeric and saffron and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the orange juice and honey and cook until the juice is reduced to a glaze, about 8 minutes. Add the stock and currants, season with salt and black pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and the liquid is thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve hot or at room temperature.
The carrot tzimmes can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.