- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for buttering
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buckwheat honey
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons Cognac
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, anise seeds, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- In the bowl of an electric standing mixer fitted with the paddle, combine 3/4 cup of the honey with the water, Cognac and melted butter; mix until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix at medium-low speed until incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, microwave the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey until fluid, 20 seconds. Turn the cake out onto a rack then right side up. Brush the top and sides with the honey. Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
The cake can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored at room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic.