© Maura McEvoy
Honey-Roasted Plums with Mascarpone and Pistachios
- SERVINGS: 8
In Turkey, cooks use a type of cream made from buffalo milk, called kaymak, rather than the mascarpone Ana Sortun offers as a substitute here.
- 1 cup mild honey, such as clover
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water (optional)
- 8 large firm-ripe red or black plums, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, melt the honey and butter with the lemon juice over moderately low heat. Stir in the orange flower water, if using. Scrape the honey syrup into a medium bowl, add the halved plums and toss to coat thoroughly. Arrange the plums, cut side down, in a large baking dish and spoon half of the honey syrup evenly over them.
- Roast the plums for 15 minutes, or until barely tender and beginning to brown on the bottom. Turn the plums and spoon the remaining honey syrup over them. Roast the plums for 10 minutes longer, or until tender but not falling apart. Transfer the plums to plates and drizzle with the honey syrup. Top with a dollop of mascarpone, sprinkle with the pistachios and serve.
Make AheadThe roasted plums can be refrigerated in their syrup overnight. Reheat the plums in a 325° oven until warmed through before serving.