- 1 1/2 pound small carrots, scrubbed but not peeled
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 thin slices of prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces mâche
How to make this recipe
Set a heavy large rimmed baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 500°. In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Spread on the preheated baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes, until just softened. Drizzle the honey over the carrots and roast for 5 minutes longer, until caramelized. Transfer the carrots to a platter.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the prosciutto in a single layer and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towe-lined plate to cool, then break into large pieces.
In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the ginger and lemon and lime zests. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, lightly toss the mâche and prosciutto with half of the dressing. Mound the salad on top of the carrots; serve right away, passing the remaining dressing at the table.