- SERVINGS: 12
Firm fruit like Bosc pears or Golden Delicious apples can be prepared similarly; poach them for 30 minutes.
- 12 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mild honey
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest strips from 1 lemon removed with vegetable peeler
- 12 medium quinces (6 ounces each)—peeled, quartered and cored
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt, for serving
- Kourambiedes, for serving
- In a large pot, combine the water with the sugar, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Add the quinces and return to a boil. Cover partially and cook over low heat until tender, about 2 hours. Remove the quinces with a slotted spoon. Boil the syrup until it is reduced to 4 cups, about 20 minutes. Return the quinces to the syrup while it cools.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Serve the quinces at room temperature or chilled, with their syrup and the yogurt, sprinkled with almonds. Pass the Kourambiedes separately.
Make AheadThe poached quinces can be refrigerated in the honey syrup for up to 3 days.