- SERVINGS: 12
Firm fruit like Bosc pears or Golden Delicious apples can be prepared similarly; poach them for 30 minutes.
- 12 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mild honey
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest strips from 1 lemon removed with vegetable peeler
- 12 medium quinces (6 ounces each)—peeled, quartered and cored
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt, for serving
- Kourambiedes, for serving
- In a large pot, combine the water with the sugar, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Add the quinces and return to a boil. Cover partially and cook over low heat until tender, about 2 hours. Remove the quinces with a slotted spoon. Boil the syrup until it is reduced to 4 cups, about 20 minutes. Return the quinces to the syrup while it cools.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Serve the quinces at room temperature or chilled, with their syrup and the yogurt, sprinkled with almonds. Pass the Kourambiedes separately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.