© Kamran Siddiqi
Honey, Nuts and Oats Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 15 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 1 two-pound loaf
This perfectly chewy gluten-free sandwich bread is brushed with honey to create a lightly sweet crust. Look for the ingredients in this recipe at well-stocked health food stores.
Plus: Breads of the World
- 160 grams (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) potato starch
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) rice flour
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) gluten-free oat flour
- 53 grams (1/2 cup) golden flaxseed meal
- 27 grams (1/4 cup) raw organic rice protein powder, such as Growing Naturals
- 18 grams (2 tablespoons) psyllium husk powder
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 9 grams (1 1/2 teaspoons) salt
- 3 grams (1 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- One 8.75-gram package active dry yeast, such as Hodgson Mill
- 500 milligrams vitamin C powder (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Gluten-free oat bran, for dusting
- Gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats, for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, mix the cornstarch with the potato starch, rice flour, oat flour, flaxseed meal, rice protein powder, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, yeast and vitamin C powder.
- Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment, and with the machine at low speed mix in the water, eggs, honey, melted butter and pecans until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat the dough until elastic and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Butter a 10-by-5-inch loaf pan and coat the sides with oat bran. Transfer the dough to the loaf pan and using an offset spatula, smooth the top. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until the dough domes over the edge of the pan, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 425º. Bake the loaf on the stone for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350º and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and set it directly on the pizza stone. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer, until the loaf is golden and a thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 208º. Remove the bread from the oven, brush generously with honey and sprinkle with oats. Let the bread cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.