- 1/2 cup mild honey, such as clover, or dark honey, such as buckwheat
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced chicken cutlets
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb (about 1 1/4 pounds)—halved, cored and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- In a shallow glass baking dish, mix the honey with the Worcestershire sauce, crushed fennel seeds and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and add them to the honey marinade. Turn the chicken cutlets to coat well. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Heat a large cast-iron grill pan or skillet. Lightly brush the fennel slices with vegetable oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Arrange the fennel slices in the grill pan, loosely cover with a sheet of foil and cook over low heat, turning once, until nicely browned, about 22 minutes. Transfer the fennel to a platter.
- Place the chicken in the grill pan and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and just cooked through; reduce the heat if the cutlets brown too quickly. Arrange the chicken over the grilled fennel and serve at once.
Notes One Serving Calories 371 kcal, Total Fat 4.7 gm, Saturated Fat 0.7 gm.
The sharpness of the fennel seed and the sweetness of the honey in the marinade meld beautifully with the soft, honeyed fruit flavors of an Italian Fiano.