- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 whole chicken wings (about 2 3/4 pounds), tips discarded, wings cut in half at the joint
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350° over moderately high heat. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour and cornstarch and season well with salt and pepper. Add the wings to the bag; shake well to coat. Transfer the wings to a strainer set over a bowl; shake to remove any excess flour. Fry the wings, in batches if necessary, until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Grate the ginger into a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl; press on the ginger to extract the juice. In a large bowl, whisk 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ginger juice with the honey, <em>harissa</em>, lime juice, 2 teaspoons of the cilantro and salt and pepper.
Add the wings to the honey–<em>harissa</em> sauce and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and serve.