Honey-Baked Figs with Ice Cream
- SERVINGS: 4
Use purplish-black Mission figs, green-skinned Calimyrnas, or both for this great-tasting dessert. Give the figs a gentle squeeze to check for ripeness; they should be quite soft.
- 12 fresh figs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Heat the oven to 425°. Cut the stems off the figs. Rub the oil over the figs and put them in a baking pan, stem-side up. Cut a cross in the top of each fig, cutting almost to the bottom.
- Drizzle the honey over the figs. Top each one with a piece of the butter. Bake the figs until they open up like flowers, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Put the figs on plates, add the water to the pan, return the pan to the oven for 1 minute, and then stir to make a sauce. Drizzle the sauce over the warm figs and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.