- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup raw sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup honey, plus 2 tablespoons for drizzling
- 1/2 brick (4 ounces) plain cream cheese, warmed to room temperature
How to make this recipe
- Bring the quinoa, oats, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, add the cinnamon and brown sugar, and stir. Let the mixture simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the water is absorbed into the grains, remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter an 8-by-8-inch or 11-by-7-inch baking dish and set aside. Lightly beat the eggs and slowly add them to tje quinoa and oats mixture, stirring constantly. Add the baking powder, 1/2 cup of almonds and 1/2 cup of honey and mix well. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, spread cream cheese on top, and sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, drizzle the remaining honey on top, then serve.
The quinoa and steel-cut oats can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Add eggs, baking powder, honey, almonds and toppings before baking.