Homemade Wheat Crackers
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN Plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 8
These thin, tasty crackers are super-crunchy and versatile.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a food processor, combine the flours, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pulse for 15 seconds. Add the butter and pulse for another 15 seconds, until a coarse meal forms. Add 1/2 cup of milk and pulse until the dough just comes together, about 30 seconds; add the extra 1/4 cup of milk if necessary. Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and divide the chilled dough into 4 even pieces. Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll out 2 pieces of the dough as thinly as possible into 13-by-8-inch oblong rectangles. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Brush lightly with some of the egg white and sprinkle with salt. Bake the crackers in the center of the oven for about 14 minutes, until golden brown and crisp; shift the sheets halfway through baking. Transfer the crackers to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Break the crackers into shards or serve whole.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.