- 3 cilantro sprigs, plus 1 cilantro leaf, smacked, for garnish
- 3 seeded jalapeño slices
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Fennel Syrup (see Note)
- 4 ounces nonalcoholic beer, such as O’Doul’s
- 1 lime wheel, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the cilantro sprigs with the jalapeño, then add the lime juice and Fennel Syrup. Fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Fine-strain into a chilled, ice-filled collins glass, stir in the beer and garnish with the lime wheel and smacked cilantro leaf.
Fennel Syrup: In a saucepan, boil 4 ounces of water. Remove from the heat, add 1/2 cup cubed fennel (1/2-inch pieces cut from 1/2 small bulb) and let steep for 6 minutes. Remove and discard the fennel. Add 1/2 cup sugar to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until dissolved. Remove from the heat, let cool and transfer the syrup to a jar. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 6 ounces.