Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 cup
Like ketchup in an American barbecue sauce, the Chinese condiment, hoisin, provides a satisfying contrast of sweet, salty and aromatic flavors.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sake or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan and cook the garlic over moderately low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sake, ketchup and rice vinegar and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Let cool and serve.
Make AheadThe hoisin barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for 2 days.