Hippie-Style Egg Salad Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 sandwiches
Philadelphia restaurateur Aimee Olexy makes her outstanding egg salad with a number of surprise ingredients, including roasted sunflower seeds, sunflower sprouts and finely grated carrot.
Slideshow: More Ideas for Hard-Boiled Eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 10 large hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 3 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds or toasted pine nuts, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices of Pullman bread, toasted
- Sunflower sprouts, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the carrot, vinegar and mustard. Fold in the chopped eggs, celery, bell pepper, parsley, tarragon, chives and the 3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Spoon the egg salad on half of the toasts. Garnish with sunflower sprouts and sunflower seeds. Close the sandwiches and serve.
Make Ahead The egg salad can be refrigerated overnight. Fold in the herbs and nuts shortly before serving.