- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 4 drinks
When Jacques Pépin was new to Playa del Carmen, local friends taught him how to turn the dried hibiscus flowers from the market into a tart and aromatic tea that's popular in the Yucatán. To make a refreshing cocktail, he mixes the bright red tea with tequila, lime juice, jarabe (bottled sugar syrup) and a splash of hot sauce.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers (see Note)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 dashes of habanero hot sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the hibiscus flowers and boil for 1 minute. Cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 15 minutes. Strain the tea into a bowl and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Stir the tequila, lime juice and hot sauce into the tea. Pour into ice-filled highball glasses and serve.