- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers (see Note)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 dashes of habanero hot sauce
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the hibiscus flowers and boil for 1 minute. Cover and remove from the heat. Let steep for 15 minutes. Strain the tea into a bowl and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Stir the tequila, lime juice and hot sauce into the tea. Pour into ice-filled highball glasses and serve.
The hibiscus tea can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Dried hibiscus flowers, also called flor de Jamaica, can be found at Latin and Caribbean markets and at health food stores. In a pinch, Red Zinger tea bags can be substituted.