Herbed Turkey Sausage Patties
- SERVINGS: 4
Be sure to use ground turkey breast meat and not a combination of ground light and dark meat, which has substantially more fat. If you can't find ground turkey breast, buy a one-pound piece of breast meat and chop it yourself.
- 1 large red potato
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast or 1 pound skinless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 ounces cured ham, such as prosciutto, trimmed of visible fat and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-fat (1%) milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme or pinch of dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a steamer basket set over simmering water, steam the potato until tender when pierced with a fork, about 18 minutes. Let cool slightly, then peel the potato and coarsely grate it.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- If using cubed turkey breast, pulse in a food processor until coarsely ground or mince by hand.
- Add the ground turkey to the mushroom mixture with the potato, ham, milk, parsley, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and mix well. Shape the mixture into eight 3-inch patties.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in the large nonstick skillet. Add the patties and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until well browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and serve.
Make Ahead The patties can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days. Notes One Serving Calories 229 kcal, Protein 34 gm, Carbohydrate 11 gm, Cholesterol 82 mg, Total Fat 5.3 gm, Saturated Fat 1.1 gm.