- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, chives and tarragon
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion, cover and cook over low heat until translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and garlic. Add the water and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and cook over moderately low heat for 10 minutes.
- Replace the lid on the rice with a clean kitchen towel and remove from the heat. Let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes until tender. Using 2 forks, lightly fluff the rice. Gently stir in the herbs, season with salt, cover with the towel and the lid and let stand for up to 30 minutes before serving.