- 12 small white or red potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, plus whole chives for garnish
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grappa or marc
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Six 1/4-inch-thick slices meaty bacon (about 6 ounces)
- Six 1/2-inch-thick slices coarse peasant bread
- Steam the potatoes until tender, about 25 minutes. Keep warm. Meanwhile, in a bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat the goat cheese until fluffy. Add the minced chives, garlic, grappa and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until slightly crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Toast the bread. Spread the flavored cheese on the toast, drizzle with olive oil and top with a few whole chives. Arrange a cheese toast, a slice of bacon and 2 warm potatoes on each plate and serve.
The flavored cheese can be refrigerated overnight.
Try a red wine from Crozes-Hermitage or Châteauneuf-du-Pape.