© Carol Han
Herbed Garlic Bread
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
For a mellower version of this Italian-American classic, Grace Parisi quickly confits thick slices of garlic by poaching them in butter.
Slideshow: Garlic Recipes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 6 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 large baguette, halved and then split lengthwise
- Pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika) (optional)
- Preheat the broiler. Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is softened and golden, about 12 minutes. Discard the herb sprigs. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic and any loose herbs to a small bowl and mash to a paste; season the garlic-herb paste with salt.
- Spread the baguette with the garlic-herb paste, then brush with the melted butter left in the skillet and sprinkle with salt. Season lightly with smoked paprika. Broil 8 inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until sizzling and browned. Serve hot.