Herbed Brown Rice Salad with Corn, Fava Beans and Peas
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8 side servings
The Good News Cyril Renaud, who grew up in Brittany, had brown rice for the first time when his Irish-American wife, Brigette, introduced him to it. Now he loves this heart-healthy, nutty-flavored grain, especially because its chewy texture holds up beautifully in salads, like this slightly spicy one full of vegetables and herbs.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups rice milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears)
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas (from 1 pound in the pod)
- 1 cup shelled fava beans (from 1 pound in the pod)
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped tarragon
- 8 medium scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 bunch small radishes (4 ounces), thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 bunch arugula (6 ounces)
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the rice, then add the rice milk and water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring a few times.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the corn until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the corn to a shallow bowl. Repeat with the peas, then the fava beans, cooking them for about 2 minutes. Peel the fava beans.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice with the vinegar, Tabasco and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the basil and tarragon and season with salt. Fold the corn, peas, favas, scallions and radishes into the cooled rice. Add the dressing to the rice and toss to coat. Season with salt. Spread the arugula on a platter, spoon the rice salad on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.