- 2 pounds firm black or prune plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or mint, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine the plums with 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring often, until the plums are falling apart, about 20 minutes. Add the sugar and garlic and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove the relish from the heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, combine the savory, coriander, Aleppo pepper, fenugreek and cinnamon. Toast the spices over moderate heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir the spices into the compote and season with salt and pepper. Scrape the compote into a bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro, scallions, parsley and tarragon before serving.
The compote can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Stir in the herbs and scallions before serving.