© Wendell T. Webber
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 FIRST-COURSE SERVINGS
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 4 round zucchini (10 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small zucchini (6 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced ham (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup packed fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Cut a thin slice off the tops of the round zucchini and discard them. Using a small spoon, scrape out the flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick wall. Coarsely chop the flesh and squeeze dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the diced zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until barely tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, tomato and scraped out zucchini flesh and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add to the bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Stir in the ham, rice, parsley and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the zucchini cups with salt and pepper and brush the outside with olive oil. In a small bowl, rub the bread crumbs with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Mound the stuffing in the cups and top with the crumbs. Set the zucchini on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until tender and heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.
NotesOne Serving 184 calories, 9.7 gm total fat, 1.6 gm saturated fat, 20 gm carb.