- 1 small lemon—washed, ends trimmed, lemon halved lengthwise and pitted
- 2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs each of thyme, rosemary and oregano
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs oregano
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup pitted Thassos or other oil-cured black olives
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Tightly wrap the lemon halves together in foil. Roast for about 45 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium roasting pan, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, herb sprigs and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°. Uncover the potatoes and roast for about 10 minutes longer, until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, mix the sugar with the water and heat until the sugar is dissolved. In a mini food processor, combine the baked lemon halves with the sugar syrup and puree. Season with salt.
- When the potatoes are done, stir in the lemon puree and the olives, capers and chopped herbs. Discard the herb sprigs. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve.
The lemon puree can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.