Herb-Marinated Mushroom and Celery Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
More Terrific Salads
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 16 garlic cloves, 15 coarsely chopped, 1 minced
- 4 mint sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 oregano sprigs
- 2 tarragon sprigs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms—such as white button, shiitake and cremini—stems discarded, large mushrooms quartered
- 12 medium celery ribs, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot, combine the wine, olive oil, vinegar, coarsely chopped garlic, mint, thyme, oregano and tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper and return to a boil. Add the mushrooms and boil over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl. Boil the mushroom cooking liquid over high heat until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes. Let the cooking liquid cool to room temperature, then season it with salt and pour it over the mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days or for up to 1 week.
- Drain the mushrooms, reserving 1 cup of the marinade. Pour the reserved marinade into a medium saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add the minced garlic and season with salt. Stir in the celery and parsley. Spread the celery on a platter, spoon the marinated mushrooms on top and serve.
Make AheadThe mushrooms can marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.